Gardening!

Those of you who’ve seen my Facebook history or visited me know I had an herb spiral I made out of bricks in my yard.

10357765_884922571523995_2172043918291552931_o 10557616_906760646006854_1700019369409189975_o

I also had a garden I built up a couple years ago after digging up sections of it and laying down hardware cloth, manually weaving/heavily overlapping the seams between each roll.

10345774_885445814805004_2369215967375680578_n  1492296_886653771350875_545781528071138865_o 10374918_889958547687064_4320083235336687810_n 1531859_889958541020398_6005792175934022962_o

10271520_902573006425618_5515319121762114615_n 10452833_906760632673522_4095284163735646770_o 10271569_915036591845926_4905185099543793541_n 10568880_915036588512593_7174136216180975121_n

Unfortunately, due to some construction, my gopher seal was broken and anything worthy planted was soon devoured. I’ve decided to go for a better-engineered slightly raised bed approach, which will hopefully hurt my back less, allow me to better access the things I plant, and renew my gopher defense.

First step was, as usual, smothering out the forest of weeds over the last month or so with tarps and cardboard. I also got a bit over-hyped and bought a load of cinder blocks to use as the “raised” bed portion.

Day two involved moving most of the bricks of the old herb spiral for use in a plot I plan to put down under the window that is currently a weed forest. I also salvaged as many herbs that were still alive from the spiral as I could.

13164328_1336030229746558_1018418596736675312_n

Yesterday, Day 3, began the leveling and hardware cloth laying. Much faster than when it was buried nearly a foot underground >.> <.<
I also did some measuring and planning for the space to determine precisely how much material I’d need.

2016-05-09_1418

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *